[aprssig] conveying map view

Wes Johnston wes at johnston.net
Tue Sep 21 21:31:23 EDT 2004

I hadn't thought of a query... would be interesting though.  I had just
thought of a subset of a message or bullitin.  In other words, I can send a
bullitin to the whole area with my bookmarked view, or I can direct it to a
specific station.  I can see the usefullness of actually "pushing" a view to
a particular station, but the station accepting the pushed view would have to
be a user selectable option on the receiving end - prob based on sender's
callsign (ie I'll allow my map viewing to be interrupted by kd4xyz and
kd4dog).

I thought briefly about sending the map file name, but that would be too
much... esp in a cross platform environment.... DOS aprs does not name maps
the same way xastir does...

I'm wondering if encoding the map view in a message would be as simple as my
email program parsing the text of my messages for occurances of "www" or
"http://"... maybe we could just send a message with the text mv://lat/lon/
range[/map_name] (mv stands for mapview, [/map_name] is optional).  In order
to be accepted as a valid map view, mv:// would have to be followed by
numeric chars, another /, numeric chars, another / and finally more numeric
chars.  Perhaps ONE map could be named as an option on the end?  Just like in
html when a particular font is specified and your machine doesn't have it...
it just ignores the font statement... same could apply to specifying a map...
if you don't have that map, display with what map you do have or no map at
all.

Wes