[aprssig] conveying map view

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 22 09:41:10 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Wes Johnston wrote:

> I hadn't thought of a query...   I had just
> thought of a subset of a message or bulletin.
> ...I can see the usefullness of actually "pushing" a view to
> a particular station, but the station accepting [it]
> would have to [have] a user selectable option
> probably based on sender's  callsign.

APRSdos already has something like that.  When you receive
a message from anyone, you can just hit 3 keys OF# and the
map will center on the location of the #'th message line
you just received.  (stands for OPS-FIND-#).

Windows based systems could simply have a check-box
labeled [Map this station] on the incomming dialog box.
when a message comes in....

I dont like Queries since each one has to be specificly
and uniquely coded  in every existing copy of code..  Using
the message format, however, is universal and backwards
compatible with 100% all existing software..

de WB4APR, Bob

 (ie I'll allow
my map viewing to
be interrupted by kd4xyz and