[nos-bbs] JNOS mbox fbb # vs. FBB forward.sys N #

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Sun Apr 3 12:49:16 EDT 2016

Thanks Gus.

Yes, the various tid bits of documentation seem to be a bit self-contradictory and hard to align.

“how can be demonstrated?”

I have a forwarding partner who is a long-time FBB user and has been very helpful in testing JNOS to FBB forwarding.  In fact, some of the extra logging of proposals in 2.0j.7v is due to him sending me information about strange JNOS behavior that didn’t appear in the JNOS log.  Also, previous attempts to use mbox fbb 1 or 2 resulted in protocol errors which were hard to understand due to no proposal logging.  I sent his FBB logs to Maiko, who has been generous with his time to add the extra logging so we can see what’s going on.

We have been run 7 JNOS machines for the last 6 years, one of which is primarily for testing.  So I can help test this stuff.  That’s a contribution I can make to the group since I haven’t written a C program in over 15 years and probably forgot more than I learned!  To do that, I need to understand more of the details.  Hence, my questions.

BTW, the observed strange behavior mentioned above is:

*       When JNOS connects to FBB (mbox fbb 0), JNOS proposes a bulletin, which FBB accepts, then JNOS disconnects without sending it.  It continues to propose the same bulletin every time it connects, until …

*       When FBB (N 0) connects to JNOS, and starts reverse forwarding, JNOS proposes the same bulletin, FBB accepts, and JNOS sends it.  After that, it doesn’t propose it any more.  But the same thing will happen with another bulletin later.

On the FBB side, the log shows the proposals.  But on the JNOS side, the proposals were not shown.  So Maiko has added the proposal logging into 2.0j.7v.  Unfortunately, the proposal logging does not occur unless both sides are using FBB forwarding (i.e. mbox fbb > 0).  So I’m going to set one machine to mbox fbb 1 and another to mbox fbb 2, both talking to the same FBB forwarding partner.  And we’ll see what we see.  More as I learn it …

Michael

N6MEF