[nos-bbs] JNOS mbox fbb # vs. FBB forward.sys N #

'Gustavo Ponza' g.ponza at tin.it
Sun Apr 3 08:54:52 EDT 2016

Ah ah, briefly saying, all the items you exposed below are
incommensurable among them.

Fbb forwarding protocols can operate either in ASCII or binary
compressed modes.

The three versions of FBB protocol are :

  * Ascii basic protocol <http://www.f6fbb.org/protocole.html#Basic>
  * Binary compressed protocol version 0
    <http://www.f6fbb.org/protocole.html#version0>
  * Binary compressed protocol version 1
    <http://www.f6fbb.org/protocole.html#version1>

Each version is backwards compatible with the previous one.

The values related to the N switch below are referred to some
features (BIN, BIN+RESUME, XForwanding) added to *FBB PBBS*,
repeat the *PBBS software*, and have nothing to do with the so
called *FBB protocol*.
So, indicating N 1, simply means to force the FBB *PBBS* to use
ONLY the standard FBB protocol.

On 04/03/2016 07:32 AM, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> Gus, can you explain further your comment below about mandatory “N 1”
> on the FBB side compared to the following …
>
> From http://www.f6fbb.org/fbbdoc/fmtforwa.htm I read that the FBB
> forward.sys file can contain:
>
> N (number)
>
> Assigns the standard forward protocol (MBL/RLI) for the specified BBS.
>
> 1 = FBB forwarding allowed
>
> 2 = FBB+BIN forwarding
>
> 4 = FBB+BIN+Resume
>
> 8 = XFWD
>
> Ex: N 15 = Sum of all protocols (default)
>
> My understanding is that “N 0” is actually just old-style, non-batched
> forwarding, like our “mbox fbb 0”.
>
> If you are correct that “N 1” is required on the FBB side for
> FBB-style forwarding with JNOS, then according to the above info, “N
> 1” is apparently just standard, batched FBB forwarding with no
> compression (SID option “F”).  And that would be the equivalent of
> “mbox fbb 1” on the JNOS side.

Today, I understand that saying the word "FBB protocol"
it is intended the Binary compressed protocol version 1
<http://www.f6fbb.org/protocole.html#version1>
and then how this is related and matching to the "mbox fbb (x)"
switch, being the JNOS2 a work in progress (see my previous msg),
how can be demonstrated?

> Michael

gus