[nos-bbs] DNS requirements

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Mar 13 14:14:02 EDT 2007

Answer Steven...

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 13:18 -0400, Steven Stimpson wrote:

> [...]

Example 1 - and all was good before upgrading the platform revision.
My domain.txt was hand built for only my immediate ham neighborhood -
and that is what failed.

About the file...
There are some external references in domain.txt that require Internet
access.
They are DNS server sites for ampr.org.
Again, in my analysis I discounted the presence of these because the
name I wanted to resolve was already present in exactly the form needed
at the top of the table.
Perhaps a shortsighted assumption?

>         one is for amateur radio purposes and you will need an
>         pre-compiled domain.txt by an amateur authority
>         for those purposes. the second is an internet address that
>         should be looked up dynamically, on-the-fly.
>         assuming you only have specific internet addresses that you
>         send to repeatedly, once in domain.txt
>         they should be brought out of there by default before even
>         attempting a query over the net.

It is my intent to extend DNS by way of a server on the host for
internet addresses - but that is later...
For now I'm satisfied if my ...ampr.org addresses are resolved locally
by only jnos.
And I appreciate your "should" statement - but it seems something fails
before matching the domain.txt entry.

>         Make sure the "Domain update" parameter is correct.

Domain update is "ON".

>         only other thing I can offer, and to this day I don't know why
>         I have to do it, was
>         suggested to me by ka1nnn. Why or how it works I do not know,
>         but
>         this NEEDS to be at the TOP of your domain.txt
>
>         $origin ampr.org.

Hmmm - The "$origin ..." is missing from the domain.txt.
Further, my doc accumulation has no reference to the record.
I will take some time to research and experiment with this suggestion!

>         Without that, we could not get Jnos to read .ampr.org
>         addresses from domain.txt without
>         checking the file, before attempting to resolve. There may
>         be other things you can do with $origin
>
>         good luck Skip,
>         Kindest regards,
>         Steven N1OHX

You have improved my luck Steven - THANKS.

de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k