[nos-bbs] DNS requirements

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Tue Mar 13 15:45:29 EDT 2007

Greetings Skip,
   Here is that portion of my autoexec.nos that relates to DNS.  I *am*
able to resolve all *.ampr.org hostnames as well as all Internet FQDN
(Fully Qualified Domain Names -- i.e. host.domain.tld), the later part
because I *am* connected to the Internet (via ethernet) *and* have
configured JNOS to use my nameserver.

###     Domain Name Service (DNS)     ###
domain dns on
domain suffix ampr.org.
domain add 216.144.208.67
domain ret 2
domain maxw 60
domain translate off
#
domain verbose yes
domain cache clean off
domain cache wait 330
domain cache size 15
domain ttl 500000
#
echo "***** Resolver configured *****"
pause 2

   We have successfully used this same configuration for all the JNOS
RF-only nodes around the State of Michigan with one modification.
Instead of pointing to 216.144.208.67 for external DNS resolves (it
wouldn't be routable within the 44-net anyway), we have the RF-only JNOS
station point 'domain address' to the Hamgate that acts as their Default
Router.  This works because each Hamgate acts as a DNS server *AND* has an
Internet connection to resolve queries he may not already have in his
cache (domain.txt).

   Hope this helps,
      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, (Skip) K8RRA wrote:

> Answer Steven...
>
> >         I guess my question is are you sending n1ohx at n1ohx.ampr.org,
> >         or steven2 at gwi.net?
>
> Example 1 - and all was good before upgrading the platform revision.
> My domain.txt was hand built for only my immediate ham neighborhood -
> and that is what failed.
>
> About the file...
> There are some external references in domain.txt that require Internet
> access.
> They are DNS server sites for ampr.org.
> Again, in my analysis I discounted the presence of these because the
> name I wanted to resolve was already present in exactly the form needed
> at the top of the table.
> Perhaps a shortsighted assumption?
> >
> >         one is for amateur radio purposes and you will need an
> >         pre-compiled domain.txt by an amateur authority
> >         for those purposes. the second is an internet address that
> >         should be looked up dynamically, on-the-fly.
> >         assuming you only have specific internet addresses that you
> >         send to repeatedly, once in domain.txt
> >         they should be brought out of there by default before even
> >         attempting a query over the net.
>
> It is my intent to extend DNS by way of a server on the host for
> internet addresses - but that is later...
> For now I'm satisfied if my ...ampr.org addresses are resolved locally
> by only jnos.
> And I appreciate your "should" statement - but it seems something fails
> before matching the domain.txt entry.
> >
> >         Make sure the "Domain update" parameter is correct.
>
> Domain update is "ON".
> >
> >         only other thing I can offer, and to this day I don't know why
> >         I have to do it, was
> >         suggested to me by ka1nnn. Why or how it works I do not know,
> >         but
> >         this NEEDS to be at the TOP of your domain.txt
> >
> >         $origin ampr.org.
>
> Hmmm - The "$origin ..." is missing from the domain.txt.
> Further, my doc accumulation has no reference to the record.
> I will take some time to research and experiment with this suggestion!
> >
> >         Without that, we could not get Jnos to read .ampr.org
> >         addresses from domain.txt without
> >         checking the file, before attempting to resolve. There may
> >         be other things you can do with $origin
> >
> >         good luck Skip,
> >         Kindest regards,
> >         Steven N1OHX
>
> You have improved my luck Steven - THANKS.

> 73
> de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0851/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |