[nos-bbs] DNS requirements

Steven Stimpson steven2 at gwi.net
Wed Mar 14 13:18:50 EDT 2007

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: (Skip) K8RRA
  Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [nos-bbs] DNS requirements

  Thanks for the reply Jay.
  I agree your question is important to know for administration purposes.
  But don't you agree that order is not an issue for me (I have no defined DNS servers)?
  Unless there is a hidden "default" server polled?

  CHEERS

  I guess my question is are you sending n1ohx at n1ohx.ampr.org, or steven2 at gwi.net?

  one is for amateur radio purposes and you will need an pre-compiled domain.txt by an amateur authority
  for those purposes. the second is an internet address that should be looked up dynamically, on-the-fly.
  assuming you only have specific internet addresses that you send to repeatedly, once in domain.txt
  they should be brought out of there by default before even attempting a query over the net.

  Make sure the "Domain update" parameter is correct.

  only other thing I can offer, and to this day I don't know why I have to do it, was
  suggested to me by ka1nnn. Why or how it works I do not know, but
  this NEEDS to be at the TOP of your domain.txt

  $origin ampr.org.

  Without that, we could not get Jnos to read .ampr.org addresses from domain.txt without
  checking the file, before attempting to resolve. There may be other things you can do with $origin

  good luck Skip,
  Kindest regards,
  Steven N1OHX