[aprssig] JOTA and APRS

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 18:59:47 EDT 2017

Hi Bob, all,

Yes, CQSRVR is what I was thinking of.

Procedures...?   I presume Saturday morning when our event starts (10am
PDT), I send out the CQ JOTA message with some sort of text announcing
our event.  I should have my own station set up as K6J (our special
event call), with no SSID.

I guess doing this from my HT (Kenwood D74) would be best, but I can't
imagine the bazillion button presses it would take to do so, especially
since the destination will change for each message, and the Kenwood
doesn't pair to a Bluetooth keyboard.  Also, the Kenwood's display won't
work well in a crowd.  So, the plan would be to do it from a laptop.
APRSIS32 will be running there, with a big monitor or projector showing
the results.  Maybe I can use the D74 HT with a different SSID to do a
few messages on RF, just to show it can be done.  We have good RF
coverage to the IS at the site.

Question:  How can I add a filter so that the stations on the map are
only those who are participating in the JOTA event?  I think that would
be really cool.

Any other things to do?  Any hints from those who have done this before?

Thanks!

Greg  KO6TH  (aka K6J on 10/21).