[aprssig] JOTA and APRS

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 15:16:08 EDT 2017

Hi folks,

In the past, I vaguely recall that there are ways to use APRS for the
Scouting "Jamboree on the Air" event.  I'm involved with a local club's
effort this year to host a multi-mode Ham event, and thought APRS would
be good to include.

I've verified that I do have good APRS coverage at the site, including
access to IS via the Digi / iGate infrastructure.  I am thinking to have
a large display of APRS-IS running - every kid will recognize and relate
to a live "marauder's map".  I figure we can do something with my
Kenwood HT to send messages, perhaps bounce off the email service to
send a message to their (or their parent's) cell phone.  Also from the
IS to the Kenwood.  I may try to bounce something off the ISS, if they
turn on the Digi up there in time.  There's only one of me (the others
are running different HF stations), so communicating between stations at
the event would be a one-hand-clapping sort of show.

Isn't there also a service of some sort where the kids can message each
other?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH

p.s.   Look for us as K6J on the weekend of 10/21!