[aprssig] iPhone APRS app?

Sterling Coffey kawfey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 00:43:22 EDT 2017

This is my personal rundown:

PocketPacket: probably the best available for feature vs cost, can do audio
TX but not RX. Designed for the original iPhone, so tends to be crashy on
modern devices.

APRS Mobile: Most modern, best UI, easy to use, works well in background,
and the only TX enabled app that has smartbeaconing. No audio modem or
messaging.

APRS Pro/ Pro SE/Pro deluxe: I have a big beef about the kitschy UI and
cost to use basic features (its $9.99 to TX for 1 year, $18.99 for life,
$50 to unlock all features), but has a full RX/TX audio modem and beyond
the UI and number of settings it’s probably the best app out there.

APRS Tx: it only TXs but tends to die in the background.

MyAPRS: basically the same as APRS.fi.

For any iOS APRS app besides APRS mobile, usability is awful: many menus,
lots to configure, maps get cluttered and are hard to filter, and the apps
don’t have good modern design and arent very responsive sometimes.

de N0SSC

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 8:04 PM Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> There's an bike event coming up this weekend and a few members of our
> local club are volunteering support for the first time, but they've
> never done APRS and only have iPhones.  Can anyone provide me with
> pointers to what's available on that platform?  I've already ruled out
> the aprs.fi app because net control will only be using local APRS
> clients, not the aprs.fi web site.
>
> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Winbdows Mobile and Win32
>
> PS.  Please do not use this thread to start any flame wars about
> anything.  If you have negative comments on any particular client,
> please send them privately to me and not the list.
>
> PPS.  Yes, I know I'm guilty of
> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing

-Sterling