[aprssig] iPhone APRS app?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Oct 10 22:37:47 EDT 2017

On 10/10/2017 9:04 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> There's an bike event coming up this weekend and a few members of our local
> club are volunteering support for the first time, but they've never done APRS
> and only have iPhones.  Can anyone provide me with pointers to what's
> available on that platform?  I've already ruled out the aprs.fi app because
> net control will only be using local APRS clients, not the aprs.fi web site.
>
> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Winbdows Mobile and Win32

The standout APRS app for iOS is "PocketPacket".   Despite the name, it's a
fully-functional APRS client with send/receive APRS messaging, and also does
mapping if you have an Internet connection (i.e. it uses Google Maps). It
automatically uses the "i-Gadget's GPS.

NOTE:  iPads with WiFi-only DO NOT have an internal GPS. iPads with both WiFi
and cellular data DO have an actual hardware GPS.

Further, it has a soundcard soft TNC that uses the i-Device's headphone jack
for over-the-air send/receive. (Assuming you have an iPhone 6 or earlier that
still has the 3.5mm analog mic/headphone jack!) If you have an Internet
connection (which presumably you do if you have an iPhone or higher-end iPad),
it can function as an igate as well. However since it only provides audio
in/out and no PTT line, you have to either use a radio that has VOX, or use
something like my homebrew tone-keyed interfaces described here:

<http://wa8lmf.net/ham/tonekeyer.htm>

I have successfully used this app on an iPad II, an iPad Mini III and an iPod
Touch for over-the-air operation with a Wouxun KG-UV8 handheld.

Most of the time though, I use the app on my iPad Mini III via WiFi in my motel
room when I am on the road, to maintain my APRS presence at night when the
mobile is shut down.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF