[aprssig] I-gates filtering on PID

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:39:43 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> Since the BBS packets use a different PID I don't think you can see them
> through a normal IGate

I was actually just discussing this with Hessu a few weeks ago as to
whether this was a valid assumption or not. I know that at least in Aprx we
don't perform any filtering based on PID. Should we be?

There has not been a clear mandate for I-gate software to filter on the
PID, so I wouldn't be surprised if that feature is rare.

> and it would flood the APRS-IS..

So what? Any APRS-IS servers which have difficulty handling an additional
9600bps on their -IS stream have no business being an APRS-IS server. Worst
case this thins the herd and we no longer have such an overkill of APRS-IS
servers.

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/