[aprssig] Event Time Data Extension Proposal

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 21:12:13 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 6:01 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> To reduce the length of daily events, how about:
>
> NETMoTuWeThFr0900 becoming NETMo-Fr0900 or NETMo..Fr0900

I love it. I had tried to come up with summarizing aliases for all days and
every workday, but didn't like any of them and it made the spec less clear
from an internationalization standpoint particularly. Arbitrary ranges with
a hyphen is more attractive.

Amendment: Ranges of days may be specified by a hyphen; i.e. Mo-Fi, Sa-Mo,
etc.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 9:23 AM, KF4LVZ <aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net> wrote:

> Trim at least two extra characters and leave it just the first letter of
> the day.  Thursday would actually become an R (this is actually fairly
> common) and Saturday or Sunday would need to change (probably Saturday
> could become A).

I've seen lots of people having difficulty with single character
abbreviations for weekdays. Most people can figure out R, but conventions
for Saturday/Sunday are all over the map. The fact that there's more than
one means that people need outside knowledge to understand the
abbreviations, which I'm not a fan of.

I expect most event time announcements to be for one day per week/month
events, so we're talking about saving a single character in most
applications for what I think is a big readability hit. (I didn't follow
where you got "at least two characters" from)

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/