[aprssig] Event Time Data Extension Proposal

KF4LVZ aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net
Sat Jan 28 18:09:02 EST 2017

On 2017-01-27 18:12, Kenneth Finnegan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 6:01 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb at homeside.to
> <mailto:ldeffenb at homeside.to>> wrote:
>
>     To reduce the length of daily events, how about:
>
>     NETMoTuWeThFr0900 becoming NETMo-Fr0900 or NETMo..Fr0900
>

> I love it. I had tried to come up with summarizing aliases for all days and
> every workday, but didn't like any of them and it made the spec less clear from
> an internationalization standpoint particularly. Arbitrary ranges with a hyphen
> is more attractive.
>
> Amendment: Ranges of days may be specified by a hyphen; i.e. Mo-Fi, Sa-Mo, etc.
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 9:23 AM, KF4LVZ <aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net
> <mailto:aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net>> wrote:
>
>     Trim at least two extra characters and leave it just the first letter of
>     the day.  Thursday would actually become an R (this is actually fairly
>     common) and Saturday or Sunday would need to change (probably Saturday
>     could become A).
>

> I've seen lots of people having difficulty with single character abbreviations
> for weekdays. Most people can figure out R, but conventions for Saturday/Sunday
> are all over the map. The fact that there's more than one means that people need
> outside knowledge to understand the abbreviations, which I'm not a fan of.
>
> I expect most event time announcements to be for one day per week/month events,
> so we're talking about saving a single character in most applications for what I
> think is a big readability hit. (I didn't follow where you got "at least two
> characters" from)

When you have a range statement you save two characters (e.g. Mo-Fr
becomes M-F) and I simply made mention of that because that was the
topic of the thread at this point, range statements.

I can understand the problem with Saturday and Sunday.  The abbreviation
of Thursday to R happens in many business settings (usually in highly
compressed tables) and the work world obviously revolves around M-F
leaving Saturday and Sunday out.