[aprssig] New IGate Operator (streaming on UHF or VHF)

Jim Conrad jjc at oceanviewcom.com
Fri Jan 6 10:41:37 EST 2017

For that to be effective the IGATE would need to have good coverage.
Mine does not so that would not be a viable method without additional
DIGIs. It appears my station can hear many of the local DIGIs but
almost all the RF-IS positions are via those DIGIs not direct to my station.

With the current filters in place and this particular area's network
impact on the local frequency utilization. For the first time I saw
in my WX3in1 statistics that my station gated IS-RF messages
yesterday. Hadn't seen that before. If anyone cares over the two
previous days my IGATE has gated 4905 packets RF to IS, 6 message
packets IS to RF and 52 position packets IS to RF.

I do like the idea though if I had a location with really good
coverage to act as a high bandwidth mirror of local activity so there
would be no impact on the local primary APRS channel. Might try that
as an experiment on a balloon flight pumping (IGATE to Balloon DIGI
on discrete VHF/UHF and then out on another discrete) out at a higher
bandwidth (9600 or 56k). Have to review the rules to see where that's
legal. UHF only?