[aprssig] New IGate Operator (streaming on UHF or VHF)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 6 08:57:20 EST 2017

The best way to do local IS-to-RF broadcast of lots of activity is to simply
use an unused UHF frequency.  Then you are just streaming the data at up to
full rate.  Locals can see everything.  And when they are transmitting
there, too, they are also seen everywhere.

Local mobiles who are moving and want to also be seen on local RF can
operate split band, with their TX on 144.39 and their receive side on the
UHF channel.  Their radio will then see EVERYTHING the local streaming IGate
delivers.

There are plenty of  unused PACKET frequencies!

A third way is to stream on an unused VHF packet frequency, but keep the
stream down at only say 10 packets per minute.  Then the mobiels can operate
APRS on only one band (leaving the other band for voice).  They simply sset
their APRS side to TX on 144.39 and RX on the designated APRS-IS channel.

The reason the stream should be about 10 packets per minute is to allow the
80% channel clear time for the local mobiles to get their packets in.

I think this is described somewhere on http://aprs.org/fix14439.html

Bob, WB4APR