[aprssig] New IGate Operator

Jim Conrad jjc at oceanviewcom.com
Thu Jan 5 00:11:01 EST 2017

Lee,

Since getting the IGATE online a few weeks ago I
have been monitoring the RF congestion. My IGATE
has not considerably impacted the area
throughput. The WX3in1 generates a fair amount of
statistics to track usage and issues. It appears
that I am the only IGATE in the area looking at
the paths and I don't have great coverage since
my antenna is only at 20ft. Most of my gating (RF
to IS) is via better coverage DIGIs in the area.
As an example in the last 12 hours my IGATE has
gated 1521 RF to APRS-IS packets but only 30 APRS-IS to RF.

I have seen the TCPIP devices rapidly report
positions you mention (think one of the offenders
was some type of IPhone app) looking at the raw
packets that APRS Direct logs. One of the reasons
I changed my IS to RF filter down to 2 max
packets per 1 min, 4 per 2 min and 6 per 3 min to
prevent a flood to/congestion of the RF side.

If you are interested in reading about the WX3in1
it's made by a company in Poland called Microsat.
Sold in the US by HRO and RPC. Links below
provide info, Microsat has a facebook page and a
webpage for support. Currently there page
indicates that there are 867 active WX3in1's on
the air in the world. Device and the accessories
etc are very impressive and not that expensive
considering the capability. The units
construction quality is excellent. Default
settings with minor changes (callsign, network
etc) make getting the station online rather
quickly. Been involved in APRS for a while but
never as an IGATE or DIGI so I am learning quite a bit as I go.

http://microsat.com.pl/product_info.php?products_id=100&language=en

http://microsat.com.pl/forum/

..Jim - N4WFP