[aprssig] New IGate Operator

Craig Kirkpatrick craigk46 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 13:26:36 EST 2017

Jim and others,
I uploaded a short presentation to Dropbox regarding setting up a new IGate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1szuxswpef7qm7g/IGate%20Presentation%20copy.pdf?dl=0

I tried to put together what I consider to be the best practices when setting up and IGate.  I also happen to use the Microsat hardware and I like it.

Regarding the presentation, I delivered it at the Northwest APRS gathering in early September 2016.  I consider it the first draft and I’m open to suggestions from anyone how to make it more complete or even include corrections if they amount to more than just someone’s strong opinion.  It was videotaped but I never found where the video was uploaded.  I really should take the time to write in the speaker notes so it is a more useful document.  One thing I plan to add to the presentation is a thought or two about what transceiver can work okay in an Igate.  My thought is that the transceiver only needs to be able to reliably reach a good digipeater and then you can get away with a cheap radio like I chose.

I choose to only gate messages from IS to RF.  For the first few month online I seemed to be the only one in my valley using APRS messaging but now it seems that many more folks have found it useful and my IGate gates about 300 messages per month from IS to RF.

Keep having fun with APRS,
Craig KI7CRA