[aprssig] APRS to DX spot gateway?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 17:34:59 EDT 2016

On 4/27/2016 3:38 PM, Todd via aprssig wrote:

> looking to do some NPOTA here in the near future from
> remote
> northeast northern CA.  Having  just returned from the Sequoia and Kings Nat'l
> Parks, where
> little to no cell coverage existed, had to really work hard to get the
> activations going - hence

I've been using a TinyTrack attached to a Yaesu FT-857 on 300 baud 30M HF APRS
in my mobile setup for this .  The primary mode of the TT3 beacons the usual
red car icon.  I have the secondary mode set to beacon the Field Day/Tent icon
and the status field  "NPOTA - National Parks On The Air!".  This quite
consistently finds it way to the APRS-IS from pretty much anywhere in North
America.

My undertaking has been to do NPOTA on live SSTV.  What better location for
SSTV "LiveCAM" shots that the National Parks?   I will be beta-testing my next
configuration from Sleeping Bear Lakeshore on the 7th of May after the
Cadillac, MI hamfest.

My mobile setup now consists of three radios. The Kenwood D700 on 2M and 450,
and two Yaesu FT-857s.  One '857 lives permanently on 30 meters connected to a
30M Hamstick for HF APRS.  The other is on all bands 80-thru-6, other than 30M,
with an auto-tuning W6HIQ screwdriver ant for mobile live SSTV.  Both HF mobile
antennas are so narrow band that I have not had any interference or desense
issues running both at the same time.   Even though the two HF whips are only
about 3 feet apart.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  _______ Windows 10 Outrages! _______
    <http://WA8LMF.net/Windows10_Info>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps