[aprssig] $60 WinBook TW700 Tablet -- Webpage With More Info Up

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 14:24:12 EST 2015

On 2/9/2015 1:57 PM, Steven Kalmar wrote:
> I just picked up a TW801.  I've heard that it's the next one up from the TW700
> that can support Windows 10.  I literally just powered it on, but it appears
> snappy.
>
> I'll be trying it with my TM-D710g and TH-D72a.
>
> Steve
> KD8QWT

It's a natural for the D72 since the D72's main out is USB.  A standard USB-A
(for the tablet host port) to mini-USB B (for the Kenwood's client port) cable
will connect the two.

With the 710, you will have the extra clumsyness of a USB-to-serial converter
cable/dongle connected to a DB9-to-Mini-DIN8 cable, to mate with the D710's
Macintosh-style 8-pin mini-DIN serial ports.

Or one could make a custom all-in-one cable.  FTDI offers their USB<-->serial
converter chip mounted on a tiny naked PC board soldered-to/supported-by by a
bare USB A plug.  It has tiny pads for soldering wires to the serial side.

Cut up a MiniDIN-8 cable keeping most of the wire on the male end, solder the
appropriate conductors to the pads on the FTDI board, and cover the assembly
with a couple of layers of heatshrink.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF