[aprssig] $60 WinBook TW700 Tablet -- Webpage With More Info Up

Steven Kalmar pista01 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 13:57:57 EST 2015

I just picked up a TW801.  I've heard that it's the next one up from the
TW700 that can support Windows 10.  I literally just powered it on, but it
appears snappy.

I'll be trying it with my TM-D710g and TH-D72a.

Steve
KD8QWT

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Gary D. Schwartz <gary.schwartz at pobox.com>
wrote:

> Just to confuse things more, there is also a TW801 model tablet, which is
> the same size as the 800, and the TW101, a 10" model. These two models have
> improved specs over the 700 and 800.
>
> The full size USB port is a host port, not a client port as seen on many
> tablets.
>
> Gary
> N1ZCE
>

> At 09:41 PM 2/8/2015, you wrote:
>
>> On 2/8/2015 7:59 PM, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:
>>
>>> Is there anything about the changes in the TW800 that would make
>>> it less suitable for Ham apps?
>>>

>>     NO As far as I can see, it's virtually identical except for the
>> larger screen.  The port complement (which sets these Microcenter tablets
>> apart from all other small cheap Windows tablets - especially the FULL SIZE
>> USB port) on the two is identical.
>>
>> The only differences I can see is that the 8" unit has a USB 3.0 port
>> instead of USB 2.0, and weighs one ounce more.
>>

>>> 8" would seem better for aging eyes - unless the touch screen/
>>> video driver is incompatible.
>>>

>> In my experience so far the touchscreen is virtually useless for
>> conventional Windows programs since the standard Windows GUI widgets
>> (icons, scroll bars, resizing handles in the corners of windows, items in
>> menu lists, radio buttons, etc) are just too small for the average
>> un-mutated human finger to reliably hit on screens this small. Not to
>> mention the problem of how do you do mouse right-clicks.
>>
>> Assume that you WILL ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY get a Bluetooth mouse to go
>> with either of these devices.  And a 32 or 64GB micro-SD card for more
>> storage.

>> Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
>> Skype:        WA8LMF
>> EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
>> Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net
>>
>> Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
>>    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>
>>
>> Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
>>    <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of
rebellion."
--George Orwell