[aprssig] BALDY APRS Station

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Mon May 21 09:11:24 EDT 2012

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, for what it's worth.
Tactical calls are just that:  TACTICAL.  They're designed to make the
network easier to use at a tactical level, for people on RF networks.  If
I'm putting together an MS-150 bike race, I shouldn't need to scour the
internet to make sure SAG1, SAG2, FINISH, MIDPOINT, and START aren't taken
this weekend; indeed, I have the freedom to use exactly those callsign
within the FCC rules (i.e. I properly identify in the body of the message,
etc).  If someone in California is doing an MS-150 bike ride the same
weekend, there's a good chance they're going to pick the same tactical call
signs.  From a tactical, get 'er done standpoint, that's ok.  From an
arm-chair, watch-APRS-on-the-internet point of view, it's Armegeddon, but
APRS really wasn't designed for those people anyway.  Now, since that
MS-150 bike ride will almost certainly happen in an area at least partially
served by twoway IGates, there's the distinct possibility that there will
be confusion caused when a message telling SAG1 to report to milemarker 75
sends both sag wagons (the one here in Georgia, and the one in California)
racing off to Mile 75, but hopefully that would be backed up with a voice
call.  A considerate APRS manager would include RFONLY or NOGATE in the
path of all tactical stations.
The more I think about it, the more I'm opposed to infrastructure stations
having tactical callsigns.  In my world, tactical means short-duration,
mission specific operations.  I think tactical callsigns in this situations
make sense, because you're far more likely to be including operators who
are a) less familiar with APRS operations, and b) stations with limited
front-panel displays and/or no mapping capability.  But having a
permanently installed Digi on an 800' tower with the callsign "DRYGLCH" is
just asking for trouble.  IMHO, it doesn't contribute to the clarity of the
network layout, and it creates confusion at the mapping layer because one
assumes that something with a tactical name is an object or something
important to the tactical nature of the network, not just another piece of
infrastructure.
Anyway, I would extend you "bad digi operator" to anyone that tactically
names a permanently installed digi.  Just my $.02 worth.

John Gorkos
AB0OO