[aprssig] 9600 baud aprs

David Dobbins ddobbins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 20:27:58 EDT 2009

Besides us here in the NW, who else is experimenting with 9600 baud APRS? We
have both 9600 APRS vhf and uhf systems in place around the Puget Sound area
and getting excellent results. Instead of a recognizable packet burst at
1200 baud, the 9600 data sounds more like a mic click over the air. With
that, there's more room for many more stations, and other types of data to
be shared with users. The 1200 baud infrastructure we've built is doing well
except in the Puget Sound region where there's not much of a break between
the packet bursts. Father Bob has recommended 445.925, however we chose
440.800 for our system after much research into an available freq.
Irregardless of which freq we settle on, I wholeheartedly support a single
national UHF freq for further development of 9600 baud APRS. As reduced
equipment costs, and more availability are with us, it's time to flash back
to 1992 and remember what we did to get the 1200 baud infrastructure in
place, starting around the larger metro areas, and repeat that interest and
enthusiasm toward a 9600 baud APRS system. Dave K7GPS
PS, in case I'm not around in another 15 years, someone recall this message,
change the refs of 1200 baud to 9600 baud, and 9600 baud to 56k baud, then
resend. Point is, let's get going on this now.