[aprssig] D710 Scanning stops on TX

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 13:09:12 EDT 2007

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:48:00 -0400
> From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
> Subject: [aprssig] D710 Scanning stops on TX
> <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>

> >> If you are jumping around in frequency, then
> >> that is usually exactly what the frequency-
> >> in-packet is designed for... So others can
> >> find you.
> >
> > But I'm not jumping in frequency, I'm scanning...
> > I get found when someone calls me on a repeater
> > not when someone looks at my packet.
>
> But how do they know which repeater to call you on?
> That's why the D710 can put ur voice freq in ur
> packet.

Easy, they just pick a repeater and I'll hear them.
As I said, I'm scanning ALL the repeaters I can hear
from my location.  So if someone just randomly chooses
a repeater, I'll hear them unless I'm actively talking
to someone elsewhere in which case they'll hear me
over on that repeater.  Almost everyone around here
scans several of the very popular repeaters so it's
actually quite easy to get someone provided they're
actually at the radio.  It really isn't that hard.
Plus the number of APRS users here is small so most of
the people on the repeaters are NOT on APRS and
therefore my packet is just a waste.

> > But to have the radio suddenly stop scanning each
> > time it transmits APRS ... Is NOT useful...
>
> That's a bug that should get fixed in the next
> firmware.
>
> > Besides, you've harped on Voice Alert all this
> time,
> > if people wanted to get to me, they could use
> that.
>
> The difference in communications area between a
> voice repeater
> and simplex Voice Alert is from 10 to 100 times
> greater.  So it
> makes a big difference in your voice reachability...
>
> > it would appear that the radio halts the scan for
> > the express purpose of acquiring the frequency to
> > put in that beacon.
>
> That is not the cause.  The cause is simply a bug in
> the
> scanning program.  It stops scanning because the
> radio
> transmits.  It will do this whether you have the
> auto-frequency
> update enabled or not.  But I agree, It should not
> stop scanning
> side B if side A transmits.

Well, as long as it's a bug that will get fixed, I
won't mind it.