[aprssig] D710 Scanning stops on TX

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 18:04:03 EDT 2007

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> That is not the cause.  The cause is simply a bug in the
> scanning program.  It stops scanning because the radio
> transmits.  It will do this whether you have the auto-frequency
> update enabled or not.  But I agree, It should not stop scanning
> side B if side A transmits.
>
> Hopefully they can fix this in the next release.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

if both sides are in the same band (VHF/VHFor UHF/UHF) what would be the
point of continuing to scan during the APRS beacon, since all receivers
on the same band would be either muted or totally blocked by the APRS
transmitter.

Or do you mean that the scan fails to resume after the APRS beacon unkeys?

If the B-side frequency is inserted into the APRS beacon text and
beaconed every time the scan stops and dwells on a B-side channel for a
few seconds,  other APRS users are going to get a very "schitzy" effect,
with the 710 user appearing to be randomly on a different repeater
every time the APRS side beacons

It would appear to me that this feature of inserting the B-side
frequency into APRS beacons is basically useless if the B-side is in
scanning mode.     The firmware should automatically inhibit this
feature unless it sees the B-side staying put on a single frequency for
a specified amount of time (perhaps 1 minute or more).

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps