[aprssig] Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Thu May 31 22:55:33 EDT 2007

At 06:41 PM 5/31/2007, Danny Messano wrote:

>Maybe your ISO's are bad?
>
>I've never had a problem burning Ubuntu discs to CD-R's, and I have burned
>30 or so of them.  To be honest, I can't remember the last time I had a bad
>CD burn.. Maybe with my PII 500MHZ box and early 4x HP CDRW drive 4 or 5
>years ago.

Again, I'm not the only person experiencing this.  It's not a bad ISO, it
happened from from multiple images, downloaded from different
computers.  That's a lot like Linux itself - for some people you can load
it on a computer with no problem, and others nothing goes right.   I will
note that the first CD I burned has errors, but I was able to load and run
Ubuntu on a Via Epia MII system with no issues using it.

And, as pointed out, the same ISO burns fine to a DVD-R.

I merely posted this observation to try and prevent someone else from the
headaches I had.   I really don't want to get into a debate about it.  It's
just a heads up if you burn a CD from the ISO and it doesn't work, try a
DVD-R instead.  That's all.   I spent a few evenings being stubborn and
trying to make it work with a CD just once.  And I couldn't.

73,

Mark
KC7BXS