[aprssig] Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu May 31 16:37:32 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:16:46PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <sparkfel at qwest.net> flavor, containing:
>  At 12:30 AM 5/25/2007, Mark Fellhauer wrote:
>

> > Well I spoke too soon - swapped out the Via Epia C3 Mini-ITX motherboard
> > for the Jetway Fanless C7 motherboard.   I went to install Ubuntu 7.04 on
> > the system and it boots to the CD just fine, but at the 79% mark on the
> > install it says "creating user" and then the install window goes away.  I
> > tried several different hard drives and CD ROMs, with the same result every
> > time.  On reboot it just hangs after the POST.
>
>  Update:
>
>  I finally got the system up and working with the Jetway C7 mobo.   Here's
>  what I found.
>
>  After reading through the Ubuntu forums I found one person noting that
>  burning the ISO to a CD-R always results in a disc with errors.

I have not observed this to be true when I did it, although I don't doubt that
it's the problem you and that poster are having.  I've only burned the ISOs
onto CD-R.  One of the alternate install CDs I burned did have errors, but
these were detected by the "Check CD for Defects" feature --- and the others
I burned passed that check just fine and were completely usable.

>  I tried the alternate install ISO and it was a nightmare.  It doesn't
>  support USB CD or DVD ROM drives.   It also burns with errors to a CD-R.

This must be an issue with your CD burner, because when I burned both the
Desktop and Alternate install CD to CD-R, the resulting CDs worked flawlessly
after running the "Check for Defects" function.  I have installed 7.04 onto
one laptop from the desktop CD, and upgraded three others to 7.04 using the
alternate install CD --- three of these four laptops had only a CD/DVD ROM
drive.

>  After burning the ISO to DVD I got farther in the install to about 94%, but
>  then it would error out. [...]  But just to be sure I swapped the DDR2
>  memory with another stick - and everything started working properly.  What a
>  nightmare.  I spent hours pulling my hair out on this thing...  Now Ubuntu
>  loads and runs on it.

Ouch.  That sounds like a real nightmare.

>  Here are some other observations:
>
>  Network Manager gives a glade file error if you connect and disconnect from
>  a wired connection sometimes.  The connection works but you cannot check
>  your current IP address.  A reboot fixes the error.

Strange --- I do this all the time at home and have never seen that.  Is
this a syslog message or an error dialog?