[aprssig] Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Thu May 31 16:16:46 EDT 2007

At 12:30 AM 5/25/2007, Mark Fellhauer wrote:

>Well I spoke too soon - swapped out the Via Epia C3 Mini-ITX motherboard
>for the Jetway Fanless C7 motherboard.   I went to install Ubuntu 7.04 on
>the system and it boots to the CD just fine, but at the 79% mark on the
>install it says "creating user" and then the install window goes away.  I
>tried several different hard drives and CD ROMs, with the same result
>every time.  On reboot it just hangs after the POST.

Update:

I finally got the system up and working with the Jetway C7 mobo.   Here's
what I found.

After reading through the Ubuntu forums I found one person noting that
burning the ISO to a CD-R always results in a disc with errors.  I also
found this to be true.  Burn the Ubuntu ISO to a DVD and no problems.  I
tried several DVD burners and several different software packages and
burned 6 CD's - all had errors when tested.    I tried different brands of
CD's and burned at low speed.  But the first DVD I burned was flawless.

I tried the alternate install ISO and it was a nightmare.  It doesn't
support USB CD or DVD ROM drives.   It also burns with errors to a CD-R.

After burning the ISO to DVD I got farther in the install to about 94%, but
then it would error out.  Then something happened.  The same mobo started
corrupting Windows XP.  I had tested the memory a few times, including the
mem-test included on the Ubuntu install CD, and never found a problem.  So
I began to suspect the motherboard.  But just to be sure I swapped the DDR2
memory with another stick - and everything started working properly.  What
a nightmare.  I spent hours pulling my hair out on this thing...  Now
Ubuntu loads and runs on it.

Here are some other observations:

I can't seem to find any Linux software that can poll the F71872F chip for
CPU Temp, Fan Speed, and Voltages.

There are some bugs with audio support on VIA VT8237 chipset.  Changing
volume can result in loss of sound until you reboot.

Network Manager gives a glade file error if you connect and disconnect from
a wired connection sometimes.  The connection works but you cannot check
your current IP address.  A reboot fixes the error.

Otherwise, I'm a pretty happy guy.   I have a tiny diskless and fanless
PC.  Now to try some Linux APRS.

73,

Mark
KC7BXS