[aprssig] GPS attachment for Kenwood TH-D7?

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 03:02:12 EDT 2007

Since starting this thread I've been browsing around, and the 406A is at the
top of my list.  At 70ma current draw, it's about as thirsty as the D7
itself, which would cut the battery life in half.  Also, my D7 battery pack
is 9.6v, so I'd need a regulator, along with a simple RS-232 level shift.
So, what I'm thinking now is to mount a 406A on a small PC board, along with
a holder for 4x AAA NiCd batteries (5v  total), and the level shift
components.  At ~700 mah, the batteries should last about as long as the D7,
for a nicebalance.

One question, though...  Does anyone have any experience with putting one of
these little gems so close to a screaming 5w 2m transmitting antenna?

Greg  KO6TH