[aprssig] GPS attachment for Kenwood TH-D7?

Greg Clark K7RKT at bigredbee.com
Sat May 26 15:08:22 EDT 2007

There are lots of bare GPS modules out there for under $100.   I know of at
least one with an integrated voltage regulator and 'supercap' that's used to
retain the ephemeris/almanac data.  I think it's the EM-406A (it's on
www.sparkfun.com).

Only problem is it outputs TTL level data, so you'd need to convert that to
RS232 levels.

For my BeeIine GPS/APRS transmitter, I use the Trimble Lassen IQ -- that one
requires an external regulator and external coin cell to backup the memory,
but it's smaller, lower power and has been confirmed to work well at high
altitudes (>18K meters).

-- Greg