[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri May 25 16:05:12 EDT 2007

Earl KD5XB wrote...

> Well, when a mobile sends a beacon every 1/4 mile PLUS
> every time the road bends more than about 5 degrees...

I have watched a number of stations that I knew were using SmartBeaconing
and it isn't always obvious, but this is probably more a comment about
channel loading than whether they were using SmartBeaconing or not. You gave
an example of a station beaconing "every 1/4 mile plus bends of more than 5
degrees..." my first thoughts wouldn't be of whether the station was using
SmartBeaconing or not. Obviously beaconing every quarter mile is not
responsible in most situations. That would translate to every every 30
seconds at 30 mph or every 15 seconds at 60 mph. Both would be over-kill on
a shared channel. Any corner pegging that happened to be going on would
almost be lost in the noise. Also, a bend of 5 degrees just wouldn't be
obvious on a map unless it was a constant curve covering a very great
distance, but a series of beacons heard at every 90 degree corner would
start to look a bit more obviously like corner pegging.

I'm not looking for an arguement. I'm just observing that in the real world,
determining if a station is using SmartBeaconing or not isn't always
obvious. Admittedly, if the SmartBeaconinng station is very close to me to
the point of capturing my receiver over all other beacons heard and thus no
missed position reports, the corner pegging would make it more apparent.

Bottom line... I think that most people would agree that SmartBeaconing is a
good thing. Like anything else, it needs to be configured properly. A mis-
configured device is a mis-configured device.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH