[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Thu May 24 22:23:51 EDT 2007

At 05:05 PM 5/24/2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
>I'm still not sure how you conclude that a particular station is using
>SmartBeaconing with mis-configured settings, but...

         Well, when a mobile sends a beacon every 1/4 mile PLUS every
time the road bends more than about 5 degrees...

         For a number of years, I sent a beacon every ONE mile and on
most turns more than about 30 degrees.  But with the New Paradigm, I
have cut back to once every three miles.  Of course, that's when I'm
using 144.39 -- I've been using my broadband data connection from the
mobile for several months now, with NO rig on 144.39, so if you look
at my history via Findu, you might think I was overdoing it just a
tad, but it's not been on the air.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham