[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri May 25 17:33:47 EDT 2007

At 02:05 PM 5/25/2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
>I'm not looking for an arguement. I'm just observing that in the real world,
>determining if a station is using SmartBeaconing or not isn't always
>obvious. Admittedly, if the SmartBeaconinng station is very close to me to
>the point of capturing my receiver over all other beacons heard and thus no
>missed position reports, the corner pegging would make it more apparent.
>
>Bottom line... I think that most people would agree that SmartBeaconing is a
>good thing. Like anything else, it needs to be configured properly. A mis-
>configured device is a mis-configured device.

         I agree -- SmartBeaconing is WONDERUFL (as are spell
checkers, HI!).  My example was a little over the top.

         The obvious way to tell if a station is using SmartBeaconing
is to watch when they're on a straight and see if the distance
between posits remains the same, regardless of the speed of the vehicle.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk