[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 24 16:19:47 EDT 2007

Earl Quoted me as saying:

> At 10:19 AM 5/23/2007, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> >Almost every instance of smart beaconing that
> >I have seen on the air are noteworthy due to
> >their excessive beaconing.

Wow, now I can see how that was poorly worded and quite
naturally was missinterpreted by everyone.  I was typing too
fast to do a careful re-read.  But what had I meant to say at
the time was:

> >Almost every instance of smart beaconing that
> >I have seen on the air that becomes noteworthy,
> >is due to its excessive beaconing.

In otherwords, SmartBeaconing is great and does an excellent job
of sharing the network with others.  They do such a good job
when properly set to the users needs, that they are transparent
to all the other systems on the air most of the time. But it is
only when one happens to be set incorrectly and begins beaconing
many packets a minute that they then become "noteworthy" and
very visible to everyone in the area due to excessive packets.

I hope that everyone can see that my point of view was that the
-only- time they become "noteworthy" is when the rare one pops
up with improper settings, and then that one becomes very
visible and "noteworthy" to eveyrone on the channel.

It is trying to find a way to limit those imporpoer settings
that was where I was trying to go with this.  Sorry I got
everyone spun up by my sloppy writing..

Bob, Wb4APR