[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 22:59:28 EDT 2007

>> If the car is manned, then it should beacon
>> at least once every 10 minutes direct or one hop.
>
> But that's the beauty of it.  It's not manned
> so my 255 minute beacon is much better then a
> dumb Kenwood beaconing away every 30 seconds.

Agree completely.

>> Beaconing less often than 30 minutes with an
>> operator present, you may as well turn the radio
>> off, because the net cannot tell you are there
>> and available.
>
> I don't think I've ever seen a net on APRS.

Ah, but APRS is a net.  That is the whole design basis of it.
It was designed to operate just like any other "net".  That is,
people who have information to share with the group transmit it
and everyone listens.  In that one transmission, everyone copies
the data and this is a very efficient way to keep the entire net
informed of what is going on.

That is what makes APRS different from regular packet.  It is
not point-to-point, but one-to-all in the net.

But to work efficiently, it is best if everyone adhere's to the
net protocol so that everyone gets to share the net resource
equally.

> Perhaps your version of APRS differs from what
> actually occurs on a daily basis in the real world.

That is why we have to continue to educate users that might not
understand or care how to operate in the APRS net.
Occassionally we see a few operators that appear to use the
maximum resources for themselves without regard for the others
in the net or sharing the very valuable but limited resource (a
single 1200 baud channel that all must share)...

That is why all software and devices have to have the "golden
rule" as a fundamental design guide.  "Do packets unto others,
as you would have them do unto you".  And protect the network
from abusive settings or common mistakes...

Bob, WB4APR