[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Steve Jones steve.jones at rogers.com
Wed May 23 22:20:11 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 10:00 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Personally, I wouldn't recommend that set up.  If the car is
> manned, then it should beacon at least once every 10 minutes
> direct or one hop.

But that's the beauty of it.  It's not manned so my 255 minute beacon
is much better then a dumb Kenwood beaconing away every 30 seconds.

> APRS is a communication system among users, not cars.  Like any
> net, we like to know who is checked in and available.  Beaconing
> less often than 30 minutes with an operator present, you may as
> well turn the radio off, because the net cannot tell you are
> there and available.

I don't think I've ever seen a net on APRS.

Perhaps your version of APRS differs from what actually occurs on a
daily basis in the real world.

--
Steve <steve.jones at rogers.com>