[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 22:27:55 EDT 2007

> Some people are right on the mark and some are
> about as ignorant as humanly possible...
>
> ... two mobiles parked at work for 8 hours.
> One is a Kenwood once every three minutes.
> The other is SmartBeaconing every 30 minutes.
> Now tell me who is loading down the channel!

Ah, the Kenwood!  But that is also why one would hope tha
Kenwood would not make that mistake again in the new D710.  I
think someone said that the engineer at Dayton assured them that
it would not be fixed rate in the new radio...

> Is it now clearer how a PROPERLY setup Smart-
> Beaconing device can severly reduce channel QRM?

No one ever argues that smart beaconing is bad.  It is GREAT
when set up properly.  You emphased the word "PROPERLY" which is
the whole point of this discussion.

This discussion is not opposed to smart beaconing, but is asking
the community, what are the optimum receommended settings and
what kind of protections can we build into smart beaconing to
prevent it from being used improperly and severly impacting
others.  That is the point.

> Lastly, why do the Kenwoods get a pass?

They don't!  I think everyone is 100% in favor of them not
putting fixed beacons in the new D710.

WB4APR, Bob