[aprssig] Smart beaconing and the tragedy of the commons

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 22:00:35 EDT 2007

>> I have plenty of experience with it... and see who
>> is hitting 99 beacons per hour ... and it
>> invariably is people running smart beaconing.
>
> I'd much rather have my Smart Beaconing which drops
> my tx rate to once every 255 minutes when my speeds
> drops below 5km/h.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that set up.  If the car is
manned, then it should beacon at least once every 10 minutes
direct or one hop.  That is the net-cycle time for APRS locally.
30 minutes is the net cycle for the region (2 hops).  These
net-cycle times were defined so that everyone can have
consistent expectations of the network and who is currently
active in the net.

APRS is a communication system among users, not cars.  Like any
net, we like to know who is checked in and available.  Beaconing
less often than 30 minutes with an operator present, you may as
well turn the radio off, because the net cannot tell you are
there and available.

WB4APR, Bob