[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Matt Werner kb0kqa at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:53:11 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> > Let's not condemn something because the operators
> > haven't taken the time to set it up properly or
> > don't care to set it up properly.
>
> Yes, we try to be careful to say that.  We are not condeming
> smart beaconing, we are concerned about the overall operational
> result, including factoring in human nature.  Given that a
> majority of APRS operators are running around with
> set-and-forget settings, it is inescapable and has been clearly
> demonstrated in the past, that the load on the network of some
> settings are simply not acceptible.

So why does the focus continue to be Smart Beaconing?  Other trackers
that operate on a fixed rate have the same problems - the operators
set them to transmit way too often..  How many of us have seen a
Kenwood that transmits once per minute all afternoon while parked?
Ok, how many of us HAVEN'T seen that?  Should we ban Kenwoods too?

> I would like to see us come up with some algorithm that protects
> the network and all the rest of us from incorrect set-and-forget
> settings that can seriously impact others.

That would be excellent.  I hope the Kenwoods (that are now apparently
nearing the end of production) will be compatible, otherwise the idea
is sure to be killed.

73 - Matt