[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 23 20:49:26 EDT 2007

> Let's not condemn something because the operators
> haven't taken the time to set it up properly or
> don't care to set it up properly.

Yes, we try to be careful to say that.  We are not condeming
smart beaconing, we are concerned about the overall operational
result, including factoring in human nature.  Given that a
majority of APRS operators are running around with
set-and-forget settings, it is inescapable and has been clearly
demonstrated in the past, that the load on the network of some
settings are simply not acceptible.

I would like to see us come up with some algorithm that protects
the network and all the rest of us from incorrect set-and-forget
settings that can seriously impact others.

WB4APR, Bob