[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Matt Werner kb0kqa at gmail.com
Wed May 23 15:02:27 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
> Matt Werner wrote:
> >
> > This sounds like another case of a mis-configured Smart Beacon setup.
> >
> > If it beacons too often for your needs then it sounds like you need to
> > adjust the parameters.
>

> This isn't the problem.  The problem is that far too many users feel it
> is essential to mark every damn corner and bend in the road perfectly,
> so that the track line  drawn by their APRS app matches the lay of the
> roads on their computer map exactly.  So they turn up corner pegging to
> the max !    Note the number of posts on various APRS-related mailing
> lists focusing on fiddling corner pegging so the track lines match the
> map exactly.

So Smart Beaconing doesn't work because too many users mis-configure it?

Also, my answer was in response to your post:

"I originally had smart beaconing enabled in APRSplus when I first took
it mobile in Southern California some years ago.   Several weeks later,
I happened to see a listing of who made the most transmissions on 144.39
in SoCal and was shocked to see I had the second largest number of
transmissions in the area, after a clueless idiot that beacons raw NMEA
strings every 60 seconds 24/7.   I immediately disabled it."

If you have it set to peg every single corner then it is...you guessed
it...mis-configured.  The user has the ability to configure it so that
it will work nicely in any environment - that's why there are
configuration parameters to begin with.

Let's not condemn something because the operators haven't taken the
time to set it up properly or don't care to set it up properly.