[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Wed May 23 12:36:11 EDT 2007

At 10:26 AM 5/23/2007, Matt Werner wrote:
>On 5/23/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>>This means everyone cruising down the highway above 60 is
>>generating packets every 20 or 30 seconds.  This is *not*
>>acceptible for routine operations.
>[snip]
>>Get some guy driving around in the parking lots and malls while
>>doing lots of honey-doos and shopping, it kills the frequency
>>with 10+ second beacons for hours.  Again, this is *not*
>>acceptible for routine operations, and past experience shows
>>that we can guarantee that -most- will be at the -wrong-
>>settings -most- of the time.
>
>These would both be examples of a grossly mis-configured SmartBeaconing setup.
>
>SmartBeaconing lets you set a "high speed" that will beacon at the
>slowest rate.  Mine is set so that, over 55 MPH, I beacon every 90
>seconds (or is it 120 now?).
>
>SmartBeaconing also lets you set a minimum time between posits.  10
>seconds would be too short IMHO.
>
>Anyone who can mis-configure SmartBeaconing can mis-configure any
>other setup as well...

         I'll second that.  Properly configured, SmartBeaconing will
transmit much less than Bob's example.  When using my HamHUD, I
usually set mine to beacon every 3 miles, plus a beacon if I turn a corner.

         Bob, why don't you try that HamHUD you have?  You could sure
use it to get a feel for how SmartBeaconing works, and I for one am a
little bit irritated that you repeatedly blast SmartBeaconing while
having no experience with it.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham