[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Rory Burke rory at burke.ac
Wed May 23 12:50:56 EDT 2007

At 11:36 AM 5/23/2007, Earl Needham wrote:
>>Snip...
>
>         I'll second that.  Properly configured, SmartBeaconing will
> transmit much less than Bob's example.  When using my HamHUD, I
> usually set mine to beacon every 3 miles, plus a beacon if I turn a corner.

Our group here in the Houston area, after doing some experimenting
with the TinyTrack SmartBeaconing parameters, have figured out that
if you set the High Speed to 90mph (a speed that most of us never
reach), the High Beacon Rate then corresponds to 5 seconds for every
1/8 mile covered over the ground. It's just a matter of deciding HOW
FAR APART IN DISTANCE the you want to beacon and setting the High
Beacon Rate accordingly. So if you want your beacons to come every 3
miles you'd set your High Beacon Rate to 120 seconds. Pretty simple...

Rory Burke - K5MBH