[aprssig] The new D710 and Smart Beaconing?

Matt Werner kb0kqa at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:26:13 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> This means everyone cruising down the highway above 60 is
> generating packets every 20 or 30 seconds.  This is *not*
> acceptible for routine operations.

 [snip]

> Get some guy driving around in the parking lots and malls while
> doing lots of honey-doos and shopping, it kills the frequency
> with 10+ second beacons for hours.  Again, this is *not*
> acceptible for routine operations, and past experience shows
> that we can guarantee that -most- will be at the -wrong-
> settings -most- of the time.

These would both be examples of a grossly mis-configured SmartBeaconing setup.

SmartBeaconing lets you set a "high speed" that will beacon at the
slowest rate.  Mine is set so that, over 55 MPH, I beacon every 90
seconds (or is it 120 now?).

SmartBeaconing also lets you set a minimum time between posits.  10
seconds would be too short IMHO.

Anyone who can mis-configure SmartBeaconing can mis-configure any
other setup as well...