[aprssig] planes and ham radio

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 21 10:09:00 EDT 2007

> ... with the new security measures is it still
> possible to take amateur radio handheld in
> carry on luggage on planes in the US?

And don't forget to jot down a few LAT/LONGS from Google earth
of the few places you may visit.  Tape them to the back of the
radio.  That way, you don't have to fuss with a GPS many times
when you simply want to report your presence at some place.

This is valuable, since the D7 will not transmit without a
posit.  SO enter a usefull one and not fuss with the GPS
sometimes.  Or just enter one for the center of the city you are
visiting and enter a 10 mile ambiguity (3 digits).  This way,
the global APRS system knows where you are, but you don't have
to fuss with GPS some of the time.

The little post-It on the back of my HT at dayton, had the
locations for each of the rooms in the HARA facility, plus my
motel, and the AMSAT dinner.  Never fussed with a GPS...

Bob
WB4APR