[aprssig] Calculator APRS, Parseing Compressed Format

gerheim at cox.net gerheim at cox.net
Sat May 19 16:19:16 EDT 2007

I have some ideas on an HP graphing calculator program for APRS.

The problem at this point is parseing the compressed format stuff I see coming out of Kenwood gear.  It seems to start with "`", and after that I lose it.  It seems to be something like the compressed format described in the APRS 1.01 spec (beginning with "/").  It looks like the first 4 characters correspond to latitude, but sign reversed compared to what comes out of the "/" spec.  After that, I can't make it out.  (I can tell the first 4 characters are lat because they keep coming out around 41N.  :-)  )

Can someone steer me to the right spec?

BTW, the calculator program will give current own station location, course, speed, along with data received from other stations.  I'll try to scroll up/down through the list of stations, with delete and drilldown capability.

The first step is making sure I can parse everything (beacon, GPRMC, GPGGA, and compressed).

--
-Al Gerheim

HP-49G+ Software Page:
http://members.cox.net/above