[aprssig] California roadtrip

John Gleichweit smokeybehr at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 13 19:20:38 EDT 2007

Arno Verhoeven (PE1ICQ) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Later this week my wife and I will start our vacation in California. I'm
> still doubting if I should take any APRS gear with me.When we get there
> we will pick up a rental RV (25') and I have some doubts about the
> antenna mounting possibilities. Normally I would use a  1/4 wave on a
> mag mount. But the RV will probably have a aluminum or polyester roof,
> so the mag mount won't work. I don't really know what the RV will look
> like, so big question mark on the temporary antenna mount possibilities.
> Does any of you guys have any good ideas about this? We will be flying
> in from Europe, so luggage restrictions are an issue. (size, weight,
> together with our regular luggage.)

The suggestions that the guys have made are all good. If you're renting
a "Class C" motorhome, which is based on a "Cab and Chassis"
arrangement, then you can plant the mag mount on the fender. If it's a
"Class A", then you'll face the mounting challenges, with the mirror
mount being your best solution.

> Next question is about APRS coverage. We will start in San Francisco,
> then go to the Big Sur area, next is Yosemite, then Nappa, and back to
> SFO. With just 5W output and a 1/4 wave, what are my chances of posits
> getting through?

LOTS!!!!! of coverage in the Bay area down through Monterey. When you're
on SR-1 south of Carmel, the coverage might get spotty. If you take
156/152 from Monterey to Yosemite, you'll have good coverage once you
get out of the hills; the case is the same if you take SR-1 south and
pick up SR-41 to get to Yosemite through Fresno. In the hills around
Yosemite, again the coverage is spotty, but you should have coverage in
the valley. Heading to the Napa Valley from Yosemite, coverage is again
spotty heading out SR-120 until you get out of the hills, and will be
good all the way into and around the Napa Valley.

--
John "Smokey Behr" Gleichweit FF1/EMT, CCNA, MCSE
IPN-CAL023 N6FOG UP Fresno Sub MP183.5 ECV1852