Subject: Re: [aprssig] Limitations of D700a Smart Beaconing...

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 15:35:33 EDT 2007

    Seems to me that a PIC set up to monitor the GPS stream could do Smart beacoming by simply
pulling on the Mic button set up for BCON.   Some of the existing Smart Beaconing / Corner Pegging
software and some of John Hansen's code to "double-jiggle" the Mic line with appropriate resistors
and you've got a SmartBeaconPIC add-on for the D700, NO?

    ...  If I only had the time...

73, Steve, K9DCI

Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:46:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: KEVIN KIBBE <kkibbe at rogers.com>

Thanks very much for the comments thus far everyone. From what I have read the only bad thing
about the d700a is the fact you cant flash it. It's a shame but that is such a big strike against
it.
Even if Kenwood were the only ones who could update it I'd be much happier about it. The way
Garmin does updates works VERY well. As it is I believe I will buy one. As has been said I can
always
add a HamHUD V or something like it in the future.

The HamHUD V does sound cool, I did realize that they wouldn't be available at Dayton this year,
just that I would be able to see a sample of what it can do.

I haven't been active on APRS other that "listening" on RF and TCPIP from time to time.

Take care,
Kevin
VA3SU