[aprssig] Limitations of D700a

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 9 16:29:15 EDT 2007

> Big red "beacon now" button on the HamHUD
> (vs. multi-small-button combinations on the
> Kenwoods).  This may be a minor thing,
> but it is handy.

The BCON button on the Kenwood is a single or double press.  If
it is more than that, then the radio was not set up properly for
APRS(which is not the factory default).  If you use the Kenwood
for APRS, you have to configure the MENU system to place all the
APRS function buttons permanently on the soft keys.  If this
"display option mode 3" is not set, then I agree, accessing the
APRS functions is not as handy.  But why have an APRS radio and
not have it properly configured for APRS buttons foremost?

If the radio menu system is properly set for APRS, then the
front panel buttons are very handy and give you instant access
to everything you need:

LIST | P.MON |  BCON | MSG | POS

LIST gives you a station list.  And if digi sysops in your area
have properly configured the DIGI's for the "Local Voice
Repeater Initiative" then the LIST will also contain the locally
receommended FREQ for voice contact.

The P.MON button lets you see a full screen of incoming FULL
packets including all path infor and all header info.  Very
userful for network troubleshooting.

The BCON button either togles BEACONING on or off, or forces a
POSIT-NOW.

MSG brings up the message list

POS brings up a large display of your lat/long and speed and
time.

Hope that helps.
Bob, WB4APR