[aprssig] Limitations of D700a

Jason D. Triolo jasonacg at citicom.com
Wed May 9 22:10:08 EDT 2007

Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> Big red "beacon now" button on the HamHUD
>> (vs. multi-small-button combinations on the
>> Kenwoods).  This may be a minor thing,
>> but it is handy.
>
> The BCON button on the Kenwood is a single or double press.  If
> it is more than that, then the radio was not set up properly for
> APRS(which is not the factory default).  If you use the Kenwood
> for APRS, you have to configure the MENU system to place all the
> APRS function buttons permanently on the soft keys.  If this
> "display option mode 3" is not set, then I agree, accessing the
> APRS functions is not as handy.

I programmed the "CALL" button on the mic to toggle the BCON on or off.
In my particular situation, I really don't use the call channel on a
regular basis, and for the few times I do need/want it, it's just a
single keypress on the control head. Mapping it to the BCON function is
much more practical for my needs, and far easier than reaching for the
control head, even if the APRS functions are "front and center" on the
display.

73 de Jason, KD4ACG
www.fieldcomm.org/aprs